Eggshells – characteristics

 

 

Egg shells are an excellent source of biogenic calcium carbonate. This common by-product from chicken farms is a source of calcium cation. Ca2+ and salts of very weak carbonic acid (CO3-2).

This makes the egg shell, while being a porous and very brittle material, has the ability to neutralize organic acids present in acidic soils.

The chemical composition of the egg shell is as follows: calcium in the form of calcium carbonate – 98.4%, magnesium in the form of magnesium carbonate – 0.9%, phosphorus in the form of calcium phosphate – 0.7%

In addition to the calcium, magnesium and phosphorus salts in the shell, there are 25 minerals – selenium, copper, zinc, molybdenum, sulfur, silicon and others.

Shells of eggs almost do not contain harmful heavy metals, such as cadmium, lead or vanadium, which are often burdened with other natural preparations rich in calcium.

Calcium and strontium found in egg shells strengthen bones and help fight osteoporosis.

Porous calcium carbonate derived from chicken egg shells is much more easily dissolved (digested) than its synthetic varieties and can more effectively improve bone mineral density. In addition, the antibacterial activity of the proteins present in the shells of chicken eggs was observed.

The shell contains 94% of minerals, the remaining 6% is contained in the yolk and in the protein.

Research shows that the intake of shells prevents hair and nails from breaking, relieves constipation, promotes skin regeneration, improves the functioning of the immune system, strengthens bones, acts as a bactericide, and even lowers cholesterol.

 

Application of Egg Shells

Skorupki jaj

Plants, soil:

  • agriculture – de-acidification of soil and leveling of heavy metals
  • fruit growing – enriching with calcium / fertilizing fruit trees and shrubs
  • gardening – pure assimilable calcium especially indicated for hydroponic crops
  • floriculture – enriching root systems and supporting plant resistance
  • nursery – seedlings, for root systems
  • grass mixtures – a calcium feed component
  • compost – reducing acidification
  • humic soil – from pH 4.5 to pH 6 – pH decrease

Domestic and farm animals:

  • for domestic and breeding animals – as a source of natural calcium and equivalent of excess phosphorus in raw meat when fed with BARF diet
  • for poultry, decorative birds and other – as a source of natural calcium

Humans: as a source of natural calcium

 

Click the following to go to the right place:

Top of the page

Egg Shells for plants

Egg Shells for animals

Eggs Shells for humans

Egg Shells – literature